Monday, October 31, 2011

Trick not Treat! Preliminary Pathology

Stage 3 - Chemo probable

The tumor was 3.5 cm long.
It went into the muscle (which is not good) but not through it (which is good)
1 out of 29 lymph nodes showed metastatic cells
  These are nodes that were removed during surgery and sent to pathology.  
  It is good that only 1 was cancerous, but this one node bumped me up from stage I 
The cells were well differentiated.
   (cells are described as well differentiated, moderately differentiated or poorly differentiated.  
    Poorly differentiated means the cells look the most abnormal compared to healthy cells)
    So this is good - it means it is a "low grade"  cancer.
The margins were clear - meaning that the surgeon was able to get into clean healthy tissue and 
   remove all the tumor--nothing was "left"

Technically, this is stage 3 cancer because of the one lymph node's involvement.  
  - I am in very good shape for being Stage 3, because stage 3 would also include the poor soul 
    with an enormous tumor and 28 of 29 nodes involved.
  - Without the lymph node involvement, it would be stage I, because it didn't go through the wall.

This report may change somewhat by next Monday when I have my follow up visit with the surgeon -  (It certainly won't get "better" though!)

Probably chemo will be recommended in order to eliminate any cancer cells that may have floated around and landed elsewhere.  Not sure when the meeting with the oncologist is yet. We are hoping for early next week.

How am I doing?
I am numb.  
Odd how what you fear the most, happens -- I saw what chemo did to my mom, and what it has done to others and I am very very fearful
        guess it's time to dust off my memory verse cards!


Things to be thankful for:
- a clean closing and a closed chapter 
- a shower (Todd was really thankful!)
- a clean, healthy incision (3 inches)
- people who care about me - YOU!
- getting the pathology report while Todd was off work
- that the tumor didn't go through the wall
- that only 1 lymph node was involved
- that if I have to be stage 3, it is a "good" stage 3
- Carla coordinating appointments to minimize wasted time
- pretty leaves
- birds
- kids enjoying trick or treat
-the continued outpouring of support and love, cards and offers of help
    heard from an old boss and some kids that had been in youth group with us in St Louis
    I am blessed!
       (I am so blessed, I am unable to keep up y'all - Please don't be offended-I am swamped)

The Lord is close to the broken hearted 
  and saves those who are crushed in spirit
A righteous man has many problems, 
  but the Lord delivers him from them all    Ps 34:18, 19

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble
THEREFORE (because He is all this)
we will not fear, tho the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.....
            or I have cancer......Ps 46



No comments:

Post a Comment