Saturday, October 29, 2011

I'm Back! Headin' Home!

Thanks to God's great grace and all of your loving prayers, I am able to write my own blog today and I just got cleared to GO HOME~! 


On the technical side, I got off all of my tubes yesterday, except for the IV.  
Yesterday afternoon, after a really painful morning (potassium infusion) they switched me from morphine to oral pain meds, which improved my outlook on life!  (I was more awake)
Yesterday I walked 6 times, several laps each time, and once to the lovely healing garden that is here at the hospital.  Today I walked 3 times, saving my strength for the excitement of going home.  
Today at noon I got to eat for the first time since Tues night - I was so thankful for my chicken soup and cottage cheese and jello!
  
I am so thankful to be released -- this hospital stuff is not for sissy's!  
Listening to the poor people around me makes me realize how blessed I am.  One poor person cries out in pain regularly -- another coughs so hard and so often--I am thankful that I have had no complications.  

Last night I was able to sleep from about 10 - 1 and the 1-4:30, which was a great blessing!  

The morning drill consistently, is a bit much though -- I lost track of how many people came in to poke, prode, weigh and enter data. 
To entertain you, one episode that made me chuckle in retrospect, not at the time though, was this:  My least favorite  person, was the blood draw lady that walked into my dark room at 5:00 a.m., flipped on the lights and began speaking loudly and vivaciously!  When my nurse came in a few minutes later, they carry on an involved conversation about the nurse's methods of curling her hair, all at full volume!  I'm sure I was not an inconvenience to their conversation at all!!!  :) 

It has made me laugh to see how many people are interested in the adjectives regarding what your body is producing - how much, texture etc (use your imagination!) how your pain is and what you are feeling--the more adjectives the better!  
I am convinced that I could go potty at the corner of State and Madison, based on all the people who came in and out during that process -- forget privacy!     
We are really blessed though to have a spunky nurse, Renee, for several shifts, and the consistency was very helpful.  She was instrumental in getting me off morphine and walking to the bathroom - helping to juggle the tangle of tubes and wires and then in getting me off the tubes and wires.   She has also been able to get the blessing to let me go home :)


You open your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing!  Ps 145:16  


I am so thankful that I have had such great doctors/nurses/caregivers (even at 5 in the morning!)
but will be even more thankful to sleep in my own bed tonight!  


Thank you so much for the notes comments and prayers -- They have been such a bright spot for me -- Todd has great fun reading them to me --  It was kind of funny, he would read to me from facebook - "this is the comment" and "this is who liked it" -- and he would rattle off names -- I had to say, "I'm sorry, you have to slow down - I can't think that fast!"  My brain felt like jello! 
(I have now progressed to the "jello Jiggler" stage -- gotta be thankful for the little things!) 
As you can tell, Todd has had fun posting pictures (oh brother)  Hopefully it provided you with some grins --


I am going to nap now before I go home - oh - my second bowl of soup just arrived!!  Yay! 


Keeping you in prayer also -thank you!








1 comment:

  1. Praise God for the surgeons and all the other health care professionals who helped you get to this point. Praise God also for the quick release to home care... what a blessing! Thanks so much for faithfully updating this blog, both of you. It has been great to follow your progress and to be encouraged by you as you face this trial.

    ReplyDelete