Monday, October 10, 2011

The results of the three hour doctors meeting …

The good news is that that cancer appears to be relatively straight forward.  There is an 85% chance it is simple surgery (3 days in the hospital) and no Chemo or radiation.  Of course the remaining 15% chance means more treatment.  We will know exactly the next steps by the end of next week. 

The CT Scan reports were all clean!  No cancer anywhere else.  Praise God!

Here are the details if you are interested:
The cancer is between the colon and the rectum and further testing is necessary to determine its exact location because the treatment is vastly different.   Scheduling that appointment is in progress, but not set yet.  It should be within this week

There is a possibility that I have Lynch syndrome.  This would make me more at risk for having a re-occurrence of colon cancer, but metastasized to other places as well as having other cancers.    Testing is underway for that, using the biopsies obtained during the colonoscopy.  We should have results in one week.   If this comes back positive, then I may have to have another test.  The outcome of this will determine how much of the colon will be removed.  Worst case is chemo and radiation with the removal of all of the Colon and a hysterectomy.  This would only be done because of the high risk factor of the cancer reoccurring. Some of the tests they are running are to determine if I am genetically predisposed to cancer.  If this is the case, then they want to do the hysterectomy.

I will have surgery either way. 
Best case, if it is in the colon, it will be a straight forward surgery, no chemo, no radiation – recovery of 3 -7 days until back to normal.  (85% chance of this)

Less good, if it is in the rectum – chemo to shrink the cancer, then surgery to remove – with same recovery as above.  (15 % chance of this).

I love you all.  Thanks for praying.  To God the glory!  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


5 comments:

  1. Hey sweet girl
    Big prayers here...HUGE. My dad is a 21 year colon cancer survivor. It happens. Would you like me to ask for prayers from my Tuesday AM group? I shared the link to this site with Susan Heep. I knew she'd want to know.

    If you want to talk to folks that have been through what you are going through, I know lots of survivors through my work.

    Wish you were closer so I could hug you...
    Karen t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris, you've been getting more prayers from me, and my class now, as well. Glad you have an upbeat spirit about this - I know it's hard. Oh yeah, you can add Minnesota prayers from the Luehmann's and Peterman's. Blessing and peace to you!
    -Heath

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so sorry to hear about your new challenge, but excited to hear what Jesus is doing in and through you. One of my greatest opportunities to witness turned out to be to the doctor who treated my hip three years ago. Please know you are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sharing all this with Lori so that we can be specific with our prayers.

    Angels Watch Over You (AWOU).

    Wm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many people are asking & praying for you here. We love you but the Lord loves you even more - His plans are to give you a hope & future ! God gives you peace.

    ReplyDelete