Friday, April 27, 2012

Weak is Strong? God's economy

Side effects the same - mouth sores tapering off - numb fingers/toes still but energy is pretty good - though more tired than last weekend.  


Yesterday's devo from Streams in the Desert by LB Cowman really struck me --
Here is an excerpt from it --
"We tend to feel we are doing the greatest good in the world when we are strong and fit for active duty and when our hearts and hands are busy with kind acts of service.  Therefore when we are set aside to suffer, when we are sick, when we are consumed with pain, and when all our activities have been stopped, we feel we are no longer of any use and are accomplishing nothing.  


Yet if we will be patient and submissive, it is almost certain we will be a greater blessing to the world around us during our time of suffering and pain than we were when we thought we were doing our greatest work."


When I read this, it really made me pause.  I have received so many comments from you about my writing this blog -- some of you even said you use it in your devotional time!  Wow!  I am so honored!  So for the last six months, I have been knocked on my butt - sidelined if you will - having to receive help from so many of you (a real learning time for me!).  Yet it seems, that my obedience to God's push to write this has blessed many more people than I could ever have done when I was well and "busy."  I am thankful that God brought good from this -- and incredibly humbled by it.  Not sure exactly how all this works -- It's a God thing!  


Along the same line, when talking to a friend, she was frustrated that she hadn't accomplished more this week.  She had taken time out to help another friend  who was in need.  Unfortunately her "to do" list was still very long and work loomed next week.  
I asked her what her kids were learning by watching her this week.  They had learned first hand how to help a friend in need -- 
    with phone calls to activate a network of people --
    with a trip to the store for things she needed -- 
    with phone calls and an encouraging note --
She had taught the next generation how to help people when they have a crisis situation. 
Was this on her to do list?  No!  Was it more important than the list?  You bet!  Our kids are the ones who will be taking care  of us -- we want them to know how to be helpful and compassionate!   Prov 22:6 talks about teaching a child so they know what to do when they are older.  
So even though she wasn't busy with her to do list (what might have seemed the right things to be doing) she answered God's call to help a friend, and not only blessed her friend, but her children and the next generation by her faithful actions.  
She blessed more people by doing the small, faithful thing. 
Sometimes God nudges us to do something that seems insignificant to us, like help a friend or start a blog, and He blesses it exponentially.  


2 Cor 12:9  My grace is sufficient for you for My power is made perfect in weakness.
Prov 28:20 A faithful man will be richly blessed...
John 11:40 Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?"


What is God nudging you to do?  


Thanks for checking in - Have a great weekend!  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment