Monday, February 6, 2012

Prayer is powerful and effective.....

Still feeling good today - just a bit tired- think my cold is trying to re-establish itself!    


You may remember that last week my Tues morning bible study lost a dear lady who had been coming for ten years or so, Midge.  I didn't know her very well --we were good acquaintances.  This morning, I was humbled yet again.  Midge's niece Susan, who is also a member of our Tues morning study, sent out an e-mail saying that when they took Midge's clothes out of the hospital bag, she had been wearing my bracelet.......
This affected me very powerfully -- 
an acquaintance - who hardly knew me, was wearing my bracelet when she began her final journey to heaven.....she cared enough to talk to God about me...
maybe it's chemo, maybe it's hormones--but I haven't stopped crying...


Early on in this journey, I remember saying repeatedly that I was blown away by how many people were praying for me--people who in most cases did not know me....
Midge brings that back home -- 
people that I don't know - that have no reason to give a flip about me -- are praying for me...
and those prayers are getting me through the rugged weeks - like last week...and the week before...and the week before.....


We are all a part of the body of Christ.  When one member suffers, we all suffer -- 
and we pray for each other 
  and lift each other up 
    and carry each other when we ourselves cannot carry on


When I was in Indiana, sitting vigil with my father from May 2o thru June 27, that was some of the most grueling time I have ever endured.  Yet because of the prayers of fellow believers, I was able to cope --
- to face his death 
- to face our parting 
- to endure his pain and suffering
- to be gone from my best friend - Todd
- to be gone from my network of friends
AND those prayers enabled my husband to continue to work, commute to Indiana, miss me but still function -- and we survived the stress
      We were carried on the prayers of the faithful.  


We are all part of the body of Christ.  When someone pops into your head, 
    pray for them.  
The more you do this, the more people God will bring to your mind -- it is really very cool!  
If you add to that, letting them know you prayed for them, you will find out that sometimes they were in a really dark place, and your prayers made a difference --
  - prayed for a friend from high school for about 2 weeks - found out 3 mos later when I finally made contact with him that he had been in the hospital after a really bad motorcycle accident - that's when God kept bringing him to mind
  - prayed for one of the kids that used to come to youth group - found out she had just moved and was settling in to a different part of the country - new job etc. 
......I could go on and on with examples...try it and let me know your stories!

You never know what God's gonna do--it's our job to 
"love each other as I have loved you" John 15:12


Life is so fragile....handle with prayer
We are here - and then we are gone....
We need to make a difference for the kingdom while we are here....



So, who ya prayin for?  (besides me! thank you!) 
Pray it, friend!  Others are prayin for you!






No comments:

Post a Comment