Friday, February 3, 2012

Kinda crabby-with a wake up call!

Nausea, numbness and tingling hang on.  Typing still is an adventure


The main chemo drug i am on is 5FU.  It can cause a side effect called hand-foot syndrome.  This involves your hands (in my case) and feet becoming red and swollen, the skin cracking and becoming peely.  The solution for this is to put on lots of lotion and keep you hands and feet cool because anything warm enhances the problem.  
The secondary drug, oxalyplatin, that I am on has the cold sensitivity as a side effect.  This causes numbness and tingling in my fingers up to my second knuckle (yes - it goes farther each round).  It also causes clumsiness (dropping items b/c you can't feel them) and difficulty in typing and picking up utensils.  The solution for this problem is to keep your hands warm - to run them under warm water whenever the stinging happens, and to use the "hot hands" hot packs when outside.  
Yesterday, the nurse said I was to not use the hot packs at all and to walk a very fine line between warm and cold......which makes absolutely no sense because even picking up a plate  causes the numbness and tingling....
I am thoroughly frustrated and grumpy about all this....
Add to this that they said to keep taking the benedryl to reduce my facial swelling, even though it did not reduce the swelling.....fortunately, the swelling went down on it's own.    
I am tired of all of this and just want to feel like myself again.....rrrrrrr!  However, God always puts things in perspective.  


My Tues a.m. bible study had a shock yesterday.  One of the sweet ladies who attends, Midge, went to dinner Wed. night with her husband.  She collapsed during dinner and was rushed to the hospital.  Thursday around noon, she went home to be with her saviour.....
My problems are very, very small in the face of this loss.  
Please remember her husband and her niece (who also attends our bible study) as their worlds has been turned upside down. 


My friends---never leave each other in anger.  You do not know what is around the corner.  Having to live with your last words to someone being in anger would be such a curse.  Always part with a sweet word.  You never know...


Thankful today for
Todd, Paul, Karl and Gretchen and our extended family - 
you - my dear friends
God's word that holds out hope no matter what the situation
dinner delivered and drivers to help us


God is our refuge and strength - an ever present help in trouble...
Therefore, we will not fear, tho the earth give way, and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.....Ps 46....


God Bless your Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Heath said he will see you soon. He's bringing a hug from me! Make sure you collect it. :)
    love,
    erin

    ReplyDelete