Thursday, August 18, 2016

The Doctor Was In

Met with Dr Contreras and Dr Cecena today 
Left kidney is not functioning  but learning that's ok - strong right kidney! Yay! 
Their 5 yr survival rate for colon cancer patients is 40% compared to my oncologist's 25-30% 
They said that my tumor load was very very low  and that they thought I would respond really well to the protocol.  
They think the pain may be coming from my hernia and will have another doctor evaluate 
     the PET scan to see what she says.  
Because my kidney is not functioning, I have been getting a smaller dose of the Vit C infusion.  It is an equivalent potency to everyone else tho, which is reassuring.  

So how am I really?  
Trying really hard not to be elated or falsely optimistic - but so happy!!!  So incredibly thankful!   

One thing that has really surprised me, is how much face time I get with doctors here.Today, I met with 2 docs for about 45 min. Dr Contreras was out of the country until 2 days ago, or I would have seen him sooner.  Last week,  I had met with Dr Cecena for about 1/2 an hour, maybe more.  In addition, I have had 2 appointments with Dr Peres of about  15-20 min each. I met with Dr Lagos for my intake appointment for 45 min to an hour. During hyperthermia, the doctor in charge of that sat there the entire time for 2 of us! At any time during the day or night, I can ask to speak to a doctor.  This is so different from the amount of time I spend with my oncologist -- This is big enough to be good, but small enough that people know me by name!  (the nurses and the concierge do!)  

On another note - http://www.oasisofhope.com/ if you are in the Dallas area, Dr Contreras will be there - see the link.  

So the kidney is dying but that's ok -- 
there are other functions besides filtering and the kidney is probably still doing those.  There is a test that my urologist can run to determine if it can be saved.  Hoping I can get him to do that.  Basically, even though the kidney is not filtering, the tissue is viable.  It is not like it is rotting or anything - which is what I thought of when they talked about it dying.  It's like the under-performing employee in a company.  They take up space but add little value.  (Michelle's word picture helped me wrap my brain around this!) 

Regarding tumor load - 
Tumor load refers to the number and severity of the tumors that a patient has. Most of the patients that come here have far more tumors than I do.  Based on that, they kind of had the attitude that if most patients need an EMT, I need the athletic trainer to tape my sprained ankle.  (Michelle has great word pictures doesn't she?)   

My pain has been steady.  I look for my painkillers every 5 hours in the morning time and by late afternoon and evening the time gap can get down to every 2 hours.  I thought it was referred pain from the kidney swelling - and they said that it could be.  They also were questioning my hernia and if that was the cause of my pain.  It is hard to say because it hurts in a wide area. I'm gonna try and pay more specific attention to what, when and how it hurts.  
They are having another doctor look at my PET scan to see what her opinion is regarding the source of the pain.  

During infusion, I noticed that most people get 2 x the amount of vit C that I usually get.  I asked about that and they told me that tho the dose is smaller, the potency is the same. They reduce the amount of the liquid because one kidney is not functioning. I am thankful to be receiving the same amount of medicine that they think is wise.   

So thankful to be here - blessed by the spirit of this place and the staff and prayin' for my miracle!  

Hanging on to God as we continue to follow the protocols that they have outlined for me.  

     I will say of the Lord," He is my refuge and my 
     fortress - 
     my God in whom I trust." 
     Ps 91:2

Thankful for all of you!  I am so humbled at how many people are keeping up with our saga!  

3 comments:

  1. Prayers are continuing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sweet Christine ~ GoD is Amazing & You Are Amazing :) I have been just another one of your silent prayer warriors :) So thankful for you and what God is doing in you & through you... so much to be thankful for especially for His perfect plan... we know it is no accident you are in such a wonderful place surrounded by such great people and getting just what you need. Praising Him for His perfect care over you Sweet Sister. Keep doing what you are doing...listening to Him and resting under His wing Much Love to You! xo Kim Dahl

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl!! God is on your side, always and in all circumstances.

    ReplyDelete