Thursday, August 25, 2016

Lots going on

Last Vaccine tomorrow  -Monday and Wednesday went as expected
Todd arrived - thankful! 
Walking 2.5 miles a day
Going home Saturday - so tying down lots and lots of details

The vaccines took a lot out of me.  Possible side effects from them include achy-ness at the site as well as flue like symptoms.  I got both of those!  The vaccine is administered under the skin, in the top of the thigh, near the groin, so it has easy access to the lymph nodes there.  That way, the vaccine goes into the lymph system easily and tells it what cells are cancer cells and to kill them. 
(forgive me if I am repeating - I lost track of what I told you already!) 

My vaccines were at 9:30 a.m. followed by 5 min ice, 10 min lying down horizontally and 15 min of walking to distribute the vaccine.  I felt ok until about 3 in the afternoon and then slid down hill.  Usually I had aches and chills, but no fever.  It was not horrible - just something to be endured.  By dinner time, my teeth would be chattering and I went to bed between 6:30 and 7:30....The next day I would feel pretty decent - get up and walk as usual in the morning, but by afternoon my pillow was calling me and I felt achy also.  The leg that got the injection was quite sore in the muscle beneath the injection site - I had a hard time going up and down stairs and limped a bit.    

The Docs are glad for the reaction because it means that my body is engaging in the fight.  I am thankful that it is such a small thing to endure.  Having Todd around made it easier to endure - :)  Glad I did not have to be without a buddy when I felt icky.  God provides doesn't He?

I've been able to walk 2.5 miles every day since Saturday - which is really good.  Having a beach to walk on makes it fly by!  Walking by the ocean reminds me how small I am and how vast God is!  In addition, I have loved hunting for sea glass and consider each piece a miracle since the beach is so busy!   

I cannot believe that it has been 3 weeks (almost) and that we have accomplished all the protocols shown here.  We leave on Saturday, so today and tomorrow is a flurry of appointments with various people and getting prescriptions for follow up care.  There's lots and lots to write about that so that will be later! Suffice it to say that for the next 3 weeks I am to do/take nothing and rest a LOT to give the vaccine a chance to multiply unhindered and fight the good fight!
  
We'll see how that goes - lol  I'll have to figure it out!  It'll be a lot harder at home than here!  

Very thankful for
being this far
friends that we've made
medicine to get me healthy again
Oasis of Hope being an option in the cancer battle
all the employees that work their butts off to make this a great place
God's promises - "I have engraved you on the palms of my hands"
                            "I will never leave you" and 
                            "Fear Not!" and 
                            "Fret Not"  and 
                            "I am with you" 
                            "My peace I leave with you"
All of you!  
Thanks for checkin' in!

2 comments:

  1. Oasis of Hope sounds like such a gift from God. I am so thankful you were able to go there. Now-praying for the vaccine to get your body attacking and killing the cancer cells! Also, praying that you are a good patient at home!!! This, too, shall go by quickly (once you look back), and you will be strong, working with those books at the thrift store and mentoring young women!!! Praying for healing and patience. Maybe a movie marathon???

    ReplyDelete