Wednesday, August 17, 2016

1/2 Way Done (1/2 baked)

Doing well 
Hyperthermia again today
Blood draw for vaccine
1st "vaccine" on Sat
Tired today

Cannot believe that I am half way done!  Woohoo!  Yesterday I walked 2 times and the second time was so pretty with sun sparkling off the water.  It was much more crowded tho. Thrilled I felt energetic enough to walk 2 times :)

Yesterday I did not sleep nearly enough - barely any naps  - and they brought my pain meds just after I had fallen asleep - LOL.  I went to bed at 8:30 last night and slept til 5:30 (except for pain medicine)! Another thing to be thankful for!  


One of the best things from yesterday was that we got to hear Dr Contreras speak and he had a Q and A session for us.  He is the son of the founder of Oasis of Hope Hospital and he explained the philosopy here.  At other places destroying the tumor is success.  In the process of the tumor eradication, often the patient dies. Here at Oasis of Hope, the goal is to help the patient live with cancer, not get rid of cancer.  He was funny and said it was like a marriage -- an "I don't bother you, you don't bother me" type of relationship with the tumor.  Success is viewed as the tumor not growing- being held in check - and me being able to live life fully. I like that! 

He talked about all cancers having the same nutritional needs in common which is why the diet is so important.  But again - he was very funny - he said, " If after 3 weeks on this diet, you say "to live is Christ and to die is gain,"  you probably need to re-evaluate your diet.  It needs to be something you can live with and stay on --  The best diet for a cancer patient is vegan and low glycemic index.  I'll share more later from him.  He was an excellent speaker -- passionate, knowledgeable and funny.  


Today I am still tired from yesterday and my day started by getting blood drawn for my vaccine.  We took a shorter walk because I had a limited amount of time that I could eat because I have to fast for hyperthermia.   





We asked Dr Contreras about the role of hyperthermia and what it accomplishes.  It obviously is a detoxing tool but it increases the immune system as well.  It increases oxidative stress which is harmful to the cancer cells and for about 30 min out of the 2.5 hour long process is flat out kills cancer cells.  When your body temperature gets high enough, it kills them.  Obviously it is a delicate balance to not overheat or cause too much stress on the other body systems. Here's a few shots of the row cover type tent and all the wires and tubes.  I had my last treatment today and even with sedation, it was challenging!  This picture is before my body had heated up enough so I was hot enough to feel miserable, but not hot enough to warrant the water infused cooling helmet! 

 
Tho this is a hopeful, peaceful, healing place, sometimes we are reminded that we are in a fight for our lives.  One of the patients here, not even an adult yet, is not doing well at all. You know  when all the doctors come out of the room at one time, and when there is special equipment outside the door, and the whole family - siblings and all - are flown in from overseas-- that things are not progressing the way that they had hoped....It is sobering and causes me to be very very thankful for so many things, like


-this place that offers hope in the face of cancer
-the strength I still do have
-the nurses who work so hard
-pain medicine
-sunshine
-new friends and old friends
-new friends coming together to pray for each other - the body of Christ
-successful surgery for one of our patients
-the chefs here who work hard to love us creating yummy treats -like carrot cake that met our diet requirements to celebrate a patient's 25th wedding anniversary - 

Thanks for checkin' in and walkin this with us - y'all are the best!

5 comments:

  1. Hang in there my sweet friend. Lots of prayers in motion for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my friend. Thank you for writing your blog, for educating us so that we can pray more specifically for you, and so that we can pass on this valuable info to others...or use it for ourselves in case that becomes a need. You are an inspiration!!! Love you incredibly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine,
    I have met you a few times up at OLu. I keep you (and Todd) in my prayers regularly. You are an inspiration to many. Thank you for sharing your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris! Though I haven't had a moment to comment in recent days, I read your updates with anticipation and hope! I am encouraged that you are gaining weight, able to take walks in the sunshine and beauty of God's creation and are feeling hopeful and encouraged by the "Body of Christ" around you. Thank you for sharing in such good detail and for allowing us to journey with you! Continuing in prayer! Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christine, My son plays hockey at OLu and I have only met you once when sitting near you and Mr. Moritz at a game. Please know that you are in our prayers. Stay positive, stay strong and thank you for sharing your inspiring journey. Gods blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete