Monday, March 21, 2016

Received my Insurance referral for a second opinion at City of Hope-Not sure when yet.
Doc is sending me for a brain MRI on Thursday 
Migraines have subsided, thank God!

Details--
City of Hope, according to their website, seems to do more clinical trials but does not say much about alternative approaches.  We ll see what they are really like.  I'm guessing it will be 1-2 weeks before I know.
Because my migraines are a new thing, they are sending me for a scan.
My migraines have finally settled down, though I feel like one is kinda hanging out in the background waiting to rise up! I'm trying to be really good and avoid all the triggers which many cases are things I love – like chocolate and wine :-) a little nervous about the scan tho...

Our kids left Wednesday and Todd was going to a conference in Las Vegas on Thursday.  After weighing the options,  I decided to go with him-(hmmm friends or cancer therapy research - not a very tough decision at all!)

Many of our friends there knew of my cancer being back and were surprised and happy to see me--(I had not registered) When it was last held in Vegas, I was on chemo--so it was rather poignant.  It was  great to catch up--two of them, separately, told me I was a warrior, which really surprised me.  I've been called a prayer warrior, but never thought of myself as a warrior -- lately, some days I feel much more whimp-ish.  Each told me that stats were just numbers and that I would beat the stats.  It was so uplifting to be encouraged that way...particularly because every minute that  I was not involved with the conference, I was doing research on chemo's effectiveness and on alternative therapies--which was/is quite an emotional roller coaster!!

Several friends asked me how they could pray for me --- I asked for wisdom regarding alternative therapies and, of course, healing...

A quick comment on alternative therapy- some people are pretty surprised that I would consider anything other than "what works."
The stats do not, in fact, show that chemo "works."  Depending which stats you look at, it is 2.5-12% chance
of survival for 5 years....some starting that 5 years, 4 yrs ago, some starting it a month ago... Thus the research....Praying for God to make clear what I am to do
“My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.” Hosea 4:6

Thankful for:
Migraine medicine that works
Stats that make me appreciate life
Reconnecting with friends from St
   Louis, Milwaukee and Las Vegas
Feeling good enough to go and enjoy
   being there
Food tasting good
Leaders working to raise up the next generation of leaders
The leaders that paved the way for us
Internet for research
Referrals from friends about possible therapies or doctors
All the many people who are praying for me - every week we learn of others who are praying for us -- it is so humbling!  


   Your love never fails,  never gives up, never runs out on me...

No comments:

Post a Comment