Thursday, December 8, 2011

Reach Out!

Today I finally have more energy!  Very thankful for that!
Still wear out pretty easily.  


Yesterday I was hoping to have more energy, but really couldn't do much.  Today however, I had enough energy to run the vacuum, mop the floor, walk a couple miles and go to lunch with friends from St. Louis!  I am thankful to feel a bit more like my old self - though everything seems to take me longer-I am not moving at my normal pace.  


Tonight I would ask for prayers of comfort for the Martin Luther High School Community as they mourn the loss of Debi Roca, the long time cafeteria manager, who died suddenly last night.  She was a wonderful energetic person, who had a great rapport with the kids.  My heart goes out to her husband....


This time of year can be so hard for people, especially if they have suffered a loss of any kind.  Everyone seems happy and busy, but if you are the broken hearted one, it is easy to feel left out and alone.  The truth is, not everyone is happy - tho they probably are busy.  Staying busy helps keep the pain away.  


Y'all have been fabulous praying for us, caring for us and many of you are far away.  
Please look around you wherever you are.  
Look for the people who are alone or lonely, 
whether by transfer, unemployment, deployment, divorce or death.
It can be awkward and uncomfortable to reach out, to include them in our conversations, meals or holiday celebrations - but that is what God tells us to do.  
  "whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me" (Matt 25:40)


Empathize with how they are feeling - or 
--and this is so important
if you are the one feeling sad and alone, 
remember 
there is always someone else who is feeling just as wounded and lost as you are.  
Reach out to them - 
  smile, (this is so easy and can make such a difference!)
    say hi,
      invite them for coffee or a meal.  
When you force yourself to think about the other person,
to reach out to them--you will feel better and so will they.  
It's that unexplainable, "It is more blessed to give than to receive"  thing.  Acts 20:35 


I know, I know - 
  "I can't reach out to someone I don't know!" "What if they think I am crazy?" 
  "What if they ignore me? or laugh at me?"  "What will my friends/family think?"
   "I can't!"
How do you know you can't reach out to someone?  Have you tried before?  
   Take pity on them, swallow your pride, smile and say hi! 
   Try again! What have you got to lose?
   Think of them as being Jesus, wondering if you will ignore the loneliness.
If they think you are crazy, do you really value their opinion that much? 
    Look around the world - don't you think it could use more nice, crazy people?
If they ignore you, 
    just smile and move on.  Be content knowing you tried.
If they laugh at you, 
    laugh with them - and invite them to share the chuckle over a cup of coffee! 
    Laughter is good medicine!
What will your friends and family think?  
    Well they probably already know about you, so they won't be that surprised! :)
    They will secretly be impressed at your courage, also!  


Anywhere you are, no matter how far down you are, there is always someone worse off.  
Find them, 
   be kind and 
      make a difference.  
It gets easier every time you do it and 
    the rewards are unbelievable!




    








No comments:

Post a Comment