Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Dr. Oz What poop color is "normal" - My story if you missed it before

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/what-your-stool-telling-you
This article is very helpful in figuring out what is abnormal.   Any change to what has been normal for you should be watched carefully and discussed with your doctor. 

So many of you have asked questions, expressed concern about what is normal--Asked what symptoms I had - Thanks for having the courage to ask - I will talk about this with anyone -- so here it goes again - if you know the story - skip this part


My only symptoms were 3 days in July, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd which were the day of my dad's funeral and the two days thereafter, when we ate fresh blackberry pie.  I had blood in my stool, like a ribbon through the poop - if you have ever had an animal that ate a rubber band, or a baby sock and pooped it out you know what I mean.  There was no blood on the paper, no blood in the water - only a thin ribbon in the stool itself.  This happened 3 days and went away.  I attributed it to stress and fresh blackberries.  (I had been in IN since May 21st, and stayed there until August 16th, dissolving dad's estate) When I got back, I went to my primary care doc, she ordered an ultrasound and colonoscopy.  Immediately after I had the order for the tests, I began again having the ribbon of blood in the stool--this time for several days at a time, and then it would go away.  
During my pre-scope consultation, Dr. Carballo said that he thought this was probably all stress related and was nothing to worry about, but we would check it all out.  
Immediately after he finished the procedure, he told Todd (and me, but I was too out of it to understand!)that I had cancer, and gave him Dr. Klas's name.  He said that Dr. Klas would be calling me tomorrow.   
By God's great grace and strength, Todd took me home, made breakfast for me and tucked me in on the couch and went to work, knowing I had cancer, and that I didn't have a clue.  He was facilitating a conference that day -- I don't know how he did it except through God's strength!  
I cannot imagine how hard it was for him to wake me up (no, I hadn't moved!) and then sit me down and tell me I had cancer.   That must have been one of the hardest things he has ever had to do -- I get teary just thinking about it.  


That was 10/6.  Thanks to the wonderful people at the Vince Lombardi Clinic, I had a cat scan and tons of bloodwork and met with a host of doc's the 10th.  The surgeon was confident that this would be no biggie - they would get it out and that would be that.  The oncologist said it was nice to meet me and I wouldn't be seeing him again, but "here's my card if you ever do need me."  None of these docs thought this would be stage 3! but it was.  


My point is this -- none of these professionals thought I had it -- I am not the poster child for colon cancer! (Obesity is a huge indicator of colon cancer) and yet I have it - stage 3


Check the bowl!  Monitor your body!  You are your best health care advocate!  

3 comments:

  1. Again, and again, you amaze me. Your candid way of being real and loving everyone, in the midst of your biggest struggle. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. off to check my poop! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Christine, just luv you for being you; an amazing person!

    ReplyDelete