Monday, April 11, 2016

Continuing to Explore Options and Living Life!

Had 2 appointments since the last post, that went very well. 
Weight holding!! yay
Feeling good enough to do some social things, but still kinda weak.
Stress level still too high - 
Please understand if I do not respond to you right away -- I have so very many cards, e-mails and texts that I am having trouble keeping up -- Thank you for understanding!

So how am I really?
I am cautiously, prayerfully optimistic.

As I re-read this - there are so many cool things that I left out - but here are the hi-lites:
The appointment with the nutritionist was interesting!  She covered more than just nutrition and is a cancer survivor herself -- so she gets it.  Spark notes version - she grilled me extensively about lifestyle and what I had been doing recently ( organic, no gluten, no dairy, no sugar, low meat)  She took a drop of blood and put it up on a screen and showed me my blood cells.  I did not realize that the oncologist looks only at the quantity of various things in my blood.  This doc was looking at the quality of my blood.  Interesting to say the least!  She could pinpoint weaknesses in my cells and explain what to take to strengthen them and thereby my immune system.  She showed me the toxins in my blood - I think everyone should see that -- it is so motivating to detox - they are huge and sci-fi looking!  So gross!
I had found a detox system, but been hesitant to try it because my gut often is sensitive to things.  She told me that the one I had found was very gentle and very good because it detoxed 6 different body systems- not just the colon.  (This was the 3rd doc to tell me it was a good system!)  If you are interested, it is the Comprehensive Detox Kit by Desbio - 6 small bottles. To this she added coffee enemas and chlorophyll.  The other thing that she touched on was the mind body connection -- and she suggested that I explore this more thoroughly with another Doc. 

My take away from her was that detoxing my body, and strengthening my blood and my immune system would be enough for right now to keep the cancer in check and could be done with chemo if I go that route.  I have a follow up appointment in a month.  She also recommended that I see another Doc in her office who is a DC and a DO and has quite some experience with oncology support.  I was able to get in to see him Friday. 

His appointment was also very interesting.  He will not work with anyone who has cancer that does not have an oncologist.  In other words - he is there to support the process, not dissuade me from having chemo.  He suggested a few other nutritional things that would actively fight cancer and suggested a long list of bloodwork to see if I would be eligible to  do other supportive therapies.  He gave me several things that we could consider and told me to go home and pray about them and the spirit would direct me what to do...........Todd and I about fell on the floor!!!  At the end of our appointment, he prayed with us!!!

During both of these appointments there was a prevailing sense of peace.  Not that we did not talk about hard things -- but it was peaceful.  God does send us signs, if we pay attention to them!

That is the first time in this process that has been the case -- not that my oncologist is not wonderful -- she is a kind and caring person who believes absolutely that what she has to offer is the only way to go.  

However, as an example of the disconnect that I am seeing -- Most people who have read anything about this know that sugar feeds cancer.  When we discussed my weight loss with my onco -- her response was to drink a couple ensures a day and put ice cream in them!!  I like her very much and she is highly respected--but that just proves to me that western medicine is not the only answer! In fact, I am coming to the conclusion that for my situation -relatively young, relatively healthy,relatively strong willed (haha)-- western medicine's answer is not the best.  

So with this, I will sign off for today --

I am so thankful for
each day
discomfort with the original alternative doc because it lead me to a better situation
the two docs different observations
finding a complex protein shake mix that I like that is organic no gluten dairy sugar
a busy weekend and the strength to enjoy it
migraine medicine 
rainy weather (actually overcast and mist most of the time - but so thankful!)
a cookbook of recipes  printed out that a friend has prepared and knows are good that fit my
     diet
samples of organic foods along with where to get them
     (it is hard to get up enough energy to go hunt through stores to find things that work -
     being told what to make, what to buy and where to buy it from is such a blessing!!!)
my roses exploding from the rain - gorgeous blossoms
recommendations of raw food restaurants :) 
a rainbow tonight
friends, family
a friend praying over me a prayer of healing

God is our refuge and strength, 
    an ever present help in trouble
Therefore
    we will not fear.....     Ps 46:1

Thanks for checkin' in! Thanks for prayin'







1 comment:

  1. Oh Christine! I am so thankful that you have found an alternative therapy and docs that you have peace about. Our Lord will continue leading you down His path for you, whether it is with them or a combination of them and others. And, thank you for the heads up on the series "The Truth About Cancer" - very enlightening! Much love and continued prayers.

    ReplyDelete