Friday, March 23, 2012

Sharing - another desert lesson....

Energy has faded....hand and foot skin issues continue (swelling, cracking, tingling)
hair continues to thin - and now I have almost no eyebrows!  It's one thing to fill in brows, but to free hand them is a little more difficult!  
2nd nupogen shot yesterday - and it hurt :(  the others haven't!  no bruise yet though!
Got some side effects from the shots - body aches, hips, knees and especially my feet. I feel like I have lead in my veins!  Thankful for the help strengthening my blood though.


Well, I don't know where the energy went....Yesterday and today, I woke up really tired - walked about 2.25 miles (slowly!) both days, which usually helps wake me up, but now, not so much. I'm thankful for several days of feeling good.  Not sure iff this is the "new normal" or if this is just a blip.  Always an adventure!


The theme of friendships has been on my mind over the last few days.  
It has happened several times that I have found out that a friend was going through a hard time and they didn't share that with me.   "When I think how this compares to your cancer - it's not that big a deal."   "You have so much you are going through....."  


By not sharing your problems, two things happen-- 
     One is that they dealt with it alone, not receiving  prayer or encouragement.   
     The other is that God couldn't use you to work on me-to shift my focus off me, back to Him! 
Distraction is a good thing.  If I have nothing else to think about, then all I think about is me, me, me-as in, poor me!  Is that really how I am supposed to be?  or am I supposed to be 
a light? a comfort? an encourager? a prayer warrior? 
   I can do all those things, even with cancer. Not doing them makes me feel like a slug - like I 
   can't contribute, help or participate.


When you have physical challenges/ailments/annoyances, it is very easy to become focused on every little thing that your body does to betray you -
   is this more cancer?
   it's not fair!
   now I can't do _____....
   the side effects are worse that the problem!
   what will the next test show?
This consuming thought process results in problems being magnified, self pity growing, and imagination creates aches and pains you didn't have before!


Instead, we are called to encourage others with the comfort we received (2 Cor 1:3-7). 
"God of comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God."  


No matter what you are going through,  you can be an encouragement for someone else. That is what God calls us to do - comfort others with the comfort He gave us when we were having trouble.  We are to model how to handle trouble, based on Him - His strength, His comfort!  We are to show HIS love, care, encouragement to others.  Then, we are blessed, because we are doing what He called us to do! 


By choosing not to share your problems,
you deprive God of opportunity to work through both of you and 
you deprive your friend of the opportunity to answer God's call to comfort and encourage others,
    thereby depriving them of a blessing!   


Sometimes people choose not to share because they are too proud to let others know that they have problems.  They feel like everyone else has their act together and has no problems.  That is such a lie of the devil - designed to separate us from each other.  When we are alone, we are easier to discourage and destroy.  When we stand together, encourage each other, remind each other of all that God has done for us, the devil has less chance of succeeding!  He wants to divide and conquer - to steal, kill and destroy us.  John 10:10


What if I had not listened to God's nudge to write this blog?  What if I didn't share all the intimate details?  Would you be encouraged -uplifted?  So many people have said how much they appreciate my frankness -- that they understand cancer and chemo better and will use that information with other friends having chemo.  They will comfort with the comfort they received--and not from me, but from God.... 
But what if I had struggled with this alone --  not "gone public"...............?


The take-away from this desert lesson is this--
Everyone has problems - if you think they don't, the devil is feeding you a lie.  Don't believe it!
You choose whether you struggle alone or share your problems.  
By sharing your problems you open the door for God to bless you and others --
   -you receive support and wise Godly counsel
   -their faith is strengthened by sharing the comfort they received in their dark valley to help you.
   -you are equipped to encourage others later on


God's economy seems odd, but it works!  It is more blessed to give than to receive  Acts 20:35
Open yourself up and allow others to give to you so they can be blessed.  
Know that when you have come through your valley, you will be called to encourage others, and you will be blessed!


You all have been such a blessing to me as you have encouraged us.  We could not walk this valley alone.  You are blessing us, and you will be blessed for your love and care...
                 Gen 12:2 I will bless you and you will be a blessing
 





   

No comments:

Post a Comment