Thursday, May 17, 2012

Vacation!!!

Side effects continue - same old - fingers, toes, some nausea, some tired, hair falling out, nails breaking -- but --
I am getting to deal with them in Telluride instead of Franklin!  
2 weeks ago yesterday I was disconnected for the last time -- 
Todd and I celebrated by doing a 5 mile hike to Bear Creek Falls - a beautiful "easy" climb which served to highlight how far I have to go to get in shape again!  


This time away has been a great blessing -- 
Todd and I have gotten to spend good time together--great conversations!  
I've gotten to do "steam therapy" to purify my system from the chemo.
My soul has been rejuvenated by the beauty of these mountains.
It has been fun to not have a schedule or an agenda - like going down a road just to find 
  out where it goes or having chocolate for "lunch" or walking the golf course just to check
  it out (you didn't know I was so devoted to golf did you??? - more like devoted to Todd!)


Other surprising things - 
I continue to process my dad's death - this upcoming weekend will be one year that I went to Valpo, not to really come home til after his death, and the sale of his house, 3 months later.
The place we are staying is gorgeous and has a German theme -- The architecture reminds me of my dad's tudor house - but on a much grander scale!  In our unit,  there is a photo on the wall of a mountain that my dad climbed - overlooking a town where he and my mom danced on their honeymoon....
The silverware is made by the company that made my grandmother's and my mother's silverware....
The pictures in the hall remind me very much of things that I saw when spending time with my grandparents....
So though this has been a real celebration, there have been some valuable times of being away and "feeling" all those things that I just ignore by keeping busy - which is not the healthy way to do it -- it's just how I have always done it  :)  
The chemo is also something that I have to work through -- when you are in it - you don't really process it - you just move on to the next thing on the timeline.  Now, finally it starts to sink in that I had cancer, I went through chemo and now I should be "cured."  When we hike, I get so frustrated that my heart is ready to pop out of my chest and my breath comes in gulps and my legs feel like jello.  Todd reminds me again that all those nasty medications are still running around in my system making me tired and everything else.  It is easy to forget.....
Don't get me wrong -- we are having a wonderful time!  It is beautiful - the weather has been wonderful -- we mostly have the place to ourselves (this is the time of year the locals close up shop and go on vacation or that they do their between season spruce up -- paint, powerwash, plant and prepare) the wildflowers are blooming...oh this has been such a gift!!!  
God has woven in the threads of sadness and tiredness, but they highlight the fun, the joy and beauty surrounding us!  He knows what we need!  


We are so blessed and thankful for the gift of this trip -- 
Phil 4:19  
and my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus
1 Thes 5:16-18
Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus


Thanks for checkin' in -- 
I won't be posting much for the next few days because we fly home tomorrow and get up early Sat morning to drive Paul to Henning MN for his Summer job -- We drive back on Sunday--I'll be back early next week!  Blessings to ya'll!












No comments:

Post a Comment