Sunday, January 22, 2017

Three steps back...

Chemo can make you uncoordinated and even low dose chemo makes me struggle with balance and dropping things.  Yesterday, I fell and sprained my right foot :(  Urgent care says it is a sprain and to stay off it for 2 weeks (no driving - oh no!) I am on crutches and honestly find them to be pretty tough --

Be joyful always - 
  Pray continually - 
    Give thanks in all circumstances 
    for that is God's will for you in Christ Jesus - 1 Thess 5:16-18

Trying to be thankful in this circumstance - so here is what I came up with:
Top of the list has to be thankful for Todd - 
  He rolled out of bed this morning to figure out where to take me and what requirements 
  had to be met for insurance....
  He made me breakfast and delivered it while I was on the phone w my primary care doc
  He drove me everywhere today and each time got out and opened the big umbrella to try
  and keep my dry in the monsoon - spotted me to the door and ran to park the car.  
    It was impossible to stay dry but he gave it a chivalrous first class effort!
  He made sure I had dinner before changing clothes and going to the football banquet.  
  He cooked so I would have food for the first few days of the week --
     I am blessed!  
On to other things to be thankful for ---
That we live high and dry even with all the rain!
Glad it is a sprain, not a break (hopefully they don't call tomorrow and say it is a break)
I sleep on my left side, so my right foot is on top so elevating it is not a big deal
I have been wanting to gain back some muscle mass - crutches surely work out my arms!  
  (as long as I don't fall because of them!)
Thankful that when I fell, my elbow did not break and that I did not hit my head!
Glad I still have the little rolling cart from my dad that i can sit on and scoot around - 
  easier than crutches!
Thankful for a one story home!
Thankful for some friends who will drive for my appointments and visit so I don't go stir crazy
Grateful that despite all the excitement with my foot, we were able to go to "Peter and the 
  Star Catcher" at Olu - what a great performance! Fantastic diversion
Trying to be thankful for more time to rest - I nap a lot! Hopefully it will help healing!
It is a gift that I do not need a lot of pain killers - as long as I keep weight off it - lol!
   (less for my system to have to process)
Thankful for the sweet nurse this morning who went above and beyond helping me - 
Thankful for the kind friend who held me up walking into Olu as the tile was very slippery, 
  the crutches slipped and I almost bit the dust!  She even held the bathroom door for me 
  and came back to help me get out of the bathroom!  What a huge blessing!  
     Is there someone you can bless in this way?  It seems small, but is such a gift!!!
Praying for the x ray tech who was unhelpful in every way, and seemingly very uncaring --
   wondering what drove her to this profession if she was not going to be helpful...
Thankful, as always, for you!  
As always, I feel so much better after listing my "thankfuls"

Thanks for checkin' in!  

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Chris,

    I am so sorry to learn of your injury! I sprained both an ankle and the other foot last Summer and my heart goes out to you. I was told that sprains are actually considerably more painful than breaks too btw. I know this must feel like 'adding insult to injury' and that it is an additional hassle with the rain. I am praying that our Heavenly Father will meet you specially during this time of having to be still and perhaps feeling a bit sidelined. Also praying for safety 'navigating' on crutches and that He will continue to raise up helpers and encouragers at just the right moment and sustain Todd specially during these days. Keep looking for the reasons to give thanks. He will carry you through this. <3 Hugs and prayers! Sylvia

    ReplyDelete