Monday, May 15, 2017

A new chapter begins

Port placement was today
Chemo starts tomorrow – if bloodwork is completed

Todd will be w/ me Monday and Tuesday so I don’t need care yet – going to try and guage how needy, high maintenance I am J Based on today I just need a pillow!  Though I struggled to get the medicine container open – opposing force – tough!

Well – I am writing Monday evening and certainly forgot how much this sucker hurts!  Here are two pictures – the second is with the port in place and the needle still accessed so they do not have to re-stick me tomorrow –  sorry too tired to make this look beautiful  -- you get the idea!  I am thankful for all of you and wanted you to know I am ok!  Praises!


For those who do not know – a port is a tube that they run through a vein behind the collar bone and down into the heart.  This way the caustic nature of the chemo does not burn the veins when I have a treatment.  During the treatment today, I was awake – though groggy and I could feel them pressing the tube into place.  The top bandage is the one covering it going behind the collar bone – the center bandage – center window shows the port – all the tubing is for access tomorrow. 

I thought I was ok, but I laid down after lunch and fell asleep for 4 hours – slept right through my breakthrough medicine time- ugh!  It feels as though a very large man punched me full strength in the R shoulder where the port is.  I am sore!  So thankful for my pain killers!

Other things to be thankful for – I had a nurse who serves on the praise team for one of our local churches – who recognized me – at least by face and took very sweet care of me! 
That I could sleep
That they left the needle in (one less poke)
That is is almost bedtime so I can go back to sleep!

When I was being admitted, they give you a gown and warm blanket and ask all kinds of questions – so hard to focus and not be sad that I am doing this all again –
Kept saying “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” –
And I’ll continue to say it as the tape is way too tight – can’t straighten my neck upright- it’s taped forward a bit. 

Several verses that keep me going so I would not cry during this difficult time –
Thanks for praying for me!

John 11:40 Then Jesus said,
“did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?”
I am praying that I see his glory through him letting me stay here….

Ps 73:26
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever!


Thanks for checkin’ in!  Y’all are a blessing – carrying us through this tough time!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful verses, thank you for sharing them and the physical and emotional strengthening they give you. Thank you for your constant transparency and just know that you are never "needy" or "high maintenance". "The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." (Psalm 18.2) Love and prayers Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing woman married to an incredible man and an everlasting beacon in the darkness for all of us. We love you and are praying for you! Keep those verses going, God will give you His strength to cope and we are all here to lift you up. You are never alone. Love you!

    ReplyDelete