Monday, January 25, 2016

Stunned....


Four years ago, you were instrumental in our lives, praying for me and encouraging us.  You were vital piece in getting through my battle with colon cancer.  Because you wove me into your life, I immediately thought of you, my prayer warriors, as things began to unfold here.  Here then, is the newest chapter in our ongoing saga....

Once you have cancer, you think any ache or pain might be it's return.  Then the conversation in your head starts:  
"No, it cannot be!  Statistically, I should be all good!  I am past 2 years, labeled NED (No Evidence of Disease) and my scopes and blood work are perfect!"  
"But your blood work was always perfect - and you were stage 3!"........and on and on....

Reality however, pulls you back....
In Mid December, I began having some pain in my abdomen on the lower left side - about where my scar is, or where my ovaries are.  I can best describe it as when you have sand in your shoe when you are walking, and you do not realize it is sore until you have a blister -- so it was!  I noticed it a couple of times when falling asleep and wrote it off to a bug of some sort from traveling or maybe the beginning of the flue.  Because it was the first Christmas that our kids were coming to CA and because there were no other symptoms, I decided that I wanted to  ignore it and enjoy Christmas ---- would deal with it, if it was still around, after they left.  
During their visit however, it started waking me up at night.  I was so annoyed!  After making an appointment with my oncologist, Dr. Tran, our family enjoyed the rest of our time together.  
 
By my appointment on 1/7, I was having nausea that would come and go, though not a lot, and was tired.  In retrospect, I had been tired a lot in December, but wrote it off to the Christmas prep frenzy.  My blood work from 12/31 was exactly the same as from my routine check- up at the beginning of December, but to be cautious, she ordered more bloodwork and a CAT scan for the 14th to get to the root of the pain. My follow up was to be 1/28.  1/15 her office called and moved my appointment up 9 days to the 19th.  Logic told me that your oncologist does not move an appointment up 9 days just to assure you all is well.....It is hard to accept answers that we do not want.  There is a chain of enlarged lymph nodes that are pressing on/wrapped around (not possible to tell on a CAT scan which) on my lower ureter.  It is obstructing the blood/urine flow, causing swelling in my left kidney, hence the pain.  She is sending me to a urologist to have them removed and biopsied, and perhaps place a stint.  She is also sending me for a PET scan to see if there is any other cancer in my body.   Because of where this is (close proximity to the original site) she said that there is a possibility that it is not cancerous, but not a probability.....

Tomorrow, 1/26, I see the urologist at 3:00 p.m  and 2/1 I have the PET scan at 4:30.  2/2 I see my oncologist again to find out results. 
 If you were with me before, you are looking for the "thankful" list - If you are a new friend, I always included things I was thankful for and shared how God had worked.  I am thankful for:
-the pain -- had this not been painful, it would have continued to grow un-detected!      (remember, I've always had perfect bloodwork! even the first time around!)
-Olu - that Todd is well employed, with great insurance!
      - for the incredible people that he works with who have poured out love and prayers!
-Dr Tran - my highly recommended oncologist who advocates vigorously for me
-That she moved my appt w the urologist up over a month from the original date
-Seeing what strong men of faith Karl and Paul are as they respond to this
-For Gretchen's sending me distraction - videos of our granddaughter :)
-You - that you take time out of your busy life to think of me and pray for me.  
-The gift of scripture-
     Deut 20:4 for the Lord your God is he who goes with you 
          to fight for you against your enemies, to give you the victory!
     2 Thess 3:16 Now may the Lord of Peace himself give you peace
          at all times, in every way. 
          The Lord be with you all. 

Thank you for walking this road with me again! Praying that we are all thanking God and doing happy dances in 8 days for his miracles of healing!   
Yet if that is not the answer, God is still on the throne, He still has a plan and He will carry us through this just as he did before....  


11 comments:

  1. Oh Christine...I'm sorry to hear this. God is still (and has always been) in control. Know that He holds you, Todd and your family close right now (as he always does) and that many will again lift you up in prayer for healing, comfort and peace to trust in Him. Hugs to you! Lots and lots of prayers ascend. Take care! Amy Kutz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, I am praying for good news from your doctors and that you and your family feel God's presence during this time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine,
    We prayed you through your hard times before, & all was well... You will be in my prayers. We do not know what the tests will show. It could all be just fine. God has our plan, & will hold you close. Love, Cindy Sachs

    ReplyDelete
  4. big prayers from our family to you and yours...
    love the capens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our God has guided you through this ordeal before, and He will again. Prayers for peace and healing. . . remember how much you are loved, and know that your OLu family is here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris - Praying diligently. I can't physically stand beside you and worship but these lyrics came to mind.... Love you!

    Blessed be Your name
    In the land that is plentiful
    Where Your streams of abundance flow
    Blessed be Your name

    And blessed be Your name
    When I'm found in the desert place
    Though I walk through the wilderness
    Blessed be Your name

    Every blessing You pour out
    I'll turn back to praise
    When the darkness closes in, Lord
    Still I will say

    Blessed be the name of the Lord
    Blessed be Your name
    Blessed be the name of the Lord
    Blessed be Your glorious name

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Christine! I'm so sorry you have to deal with this again. I will be praying for you and am confident that if it comes to it, your faith will give you the courage and strength to battle again. Hugs!!! Margaret Krueger

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I thank God that you are a part of my life and what a blessing you are in my life. Sending lots of love and hugs your way. May God give you His strength to hold you and your family up during this difficult time, trusting that He is a God of healing and love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I thank God that you are a part of my life and what a blessing you are in my life. Sending lots of love and hugs your way. May God give you His strength to hold you and your family up during this difficult time, trusting that He is a God of healing and love. (Sorry I posted it twice once as me and once as my blog account)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My thoughts and prayers are with you, my Wednesday friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stay strong in your mind, body and spirit! He has you in the palm of His mighty hand! You are loved and in my prayers. ❤️ Jule Buuck

    ReplyDelete