Thursday, June 28, 2012

Just what I needed

Side effects are the same - perhaps a little better, but it is hard to tell much difference


Yesterday, was kind of a long day between it being the anniversary of my dad's death, and this call.  This was the devotion for June 27th.  It was just what I needed.  It carried me through the day - taken from Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.


"Rest with Me a while.  You have journeyed up a steep rugged path in recent days.  The way ahead is shrouded in uncertainty.  Look neither behind you nor before you.  Instead, focus your attention on Me, your constant Companion.  Trust that I will equip you fully for whatever awaits you on your journey. 
I designed time to be a protection for you.  You couldn't bear to see all your life at once.  Though I am unlimited by time, it is in the present moment that I meet you.  Refresh yourself in My company, breathing deep draughts of My Presence.  The highest level of trust is to enjoy Me moment by moment.  I am with you, watching over you wherever you go."   


I felt as though God were speaking to me personally--the rugged path-the uncertain future-- and the instruction to focus on Him!  I love the "time as a protection - you couldn't bear to see all your life at once" - some days I can't bear to see a whole day at a time!!! 
"Enjoy me moment by moment."  
Enjoy -- When I was growing up, that was not a word that was stressed a lot.  It evokes thoughts of resting, savoring, treasuring.....  
Productivity, being ladylike (no chuckles here!) and doing your best (which means re-doing multiple times to get it right) -- that was stressed.  We did enjoy Sunday afternoon "caffee" and good conversation - or sitting on the porch...but I wish that we had "enjoyed" each other's company more.  
It makes me want to be very careful to not set people aside to get tasks done.  Tasks are always there --  people are not.  It is so important to enjoy them.  
I digress --
Enjoy God -- I found myself "talking" to him a lot during the day--pleading for a friend's health --rejoicing over another friend's great test results -- laughing "with" Him about a bossy baby bird - or complaining "to Him about this call -- and He gently reminded me what a blessing it is to have the opportunity to consider another position in this economy.   I found myself being more joyful throughout the day, because I was Enjoying God.  
Speaking of enjoying -- 
in my discussions with Him, I felt that He was prodding me to give up something I enjoy as I go through this decision making process.  We discussed chocolate and wine - and wine seemed to be the thing that He wanted me to give up enjoying for now--as though it might be a distraction during this time.  So, I am giving up wine---go figure!  That is like giving up coffee for some people!  It is worth it to hear clearly from Him about this call!


Ecc 11:8a  However many years a man may live, let him enjoy them all.....


Praying that her devotion touched you and that you can Enjoy God every day!
Thanks for checking in! 


ps - if you have any pearls of wisdom about this call, or life in CA vs life in the Midwest, please feel free to share them.....

1 comment:

  1. These struggles of hearing God's call and the devotion really hit home with me for this is where I am as well. I just finished a sermon by Tim Keller called "Real Security and the Call of God." It really blessed and challenged me, but also God spoke peace in my soul through the challenging. I recommend listening to it; it's free off of iTunes. Thanks again for this blog! It's helped me tremendously.
    ~Claire

    ReplyDelete