Thursday, October 18, 2018

What would you do if you only had a few hours left?


This is Todd again.  I am now writing what I think Christine would want you to know.  Many, many have reached out looking for an update – so here goes.

Pain better; nourishment all but complete; still much discomfort; limited time awake.

Pain is more controlled.  She is on a morphine pump that gives her a continuous IV drip right into her port.  She is able to add to it with the press of a button.  Pain still spikes in the afternoon and becomes quite difficult, but we are able to get on it quicker and settle it down.

Eating is all but done.  Just a bit to chew on or taste here and there.  Water has declined quite a bit too.  With limited oral medicine, not as much drinking is required.

Her stomach continues to be hugely distended.  She says she looks eight months pregnant.  We have tried different medicines with limited help.  Her belly – at 24 inches several weeks ago – is now at 34 ½.  The skin and muscle pressure alone would be miserable – but all her internal organs are being crowded – including the stomach and intestines.  Her feet and ankles are swollen.

Awake and alert time is fleeting.  Two to three hours a day.  Most of her time is spent asleep.  I have brought her out on the couch for several hours a day, but it isn’t as comfortable as the hospital bed.  Body aches are getting worse from limited movement.  She needs help to get out of bed and walk.

So what would you do if you had just a few hours a day?  In the last week I have averaged about one hour a day texting, email and on Facebook.  If I only had a few hours a day, likely that would decline.  Most of Christine’s awake time is with me, a couple of visitors and checking in on some people.

Her phone is going crazy with texts.  Facebook and blog posts are off the chart.  We very much appreciate the love and support – but are having trouble just reading all of them, let alone responding.  She doesn’t check her phone much – but I read all the messages to her.  It still is her lifeline to the world.  Know your love and prayers ARE deeply appreciated.

I (Todd) went in the office for a couple of hours in the mornings and then afternoons for a few days.  I love the ministry God has given me and I am trying to help the team as much as I am able.  But as of late Tuesday night, it was clear that I can no longer do that.  I had scheduled care for Christine everyday 8am to 4pm – but it was too emotionally exhausting for Christine and the care demands are getting more and more complicated.  Clearly the end is quite close (days? Weeks? Who knows – she is a tough cookie!).  Christine would wake up in pain or having to go to the bathroom and was not even sure who was caring for her.  I am glad to be at her side – and yet quite sad.  From a guy who doesn’t cry, tears don’t seem to stop.  I am thankful for technology that allows me to stay in touch with the school and help where I can.

Christine has spent five or ten minutes on the phone or FaceTime every day with our boys.  That has been special.  We have tried to reach out to one other person for a couple of minutes each day – but that is getting harder.  Lots of nurse visits happen.  All in all … the few hours goes very quickly. 

Here is my current view.  She is so beautiful.  Other than super thin, she looks so great.  My heart breaks.


Rejoice in the Lord always, I say it again rejoice.  Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but with prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God.  And (THEN) the peace of God that transcends all (Human) understanding will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4.

The Lord is near.  Her time to go see Him seems to comes quickly.  What a heavenly party that will be (Matthew 22:2).

Thanks for checkin’ in.
For Christine …. Todd

16 comments:

  1. “I can only imagine.”
    Love to you both and All your kids and those in your care. You are a pillar of faith standing through the most difficult and worthy journey of all! You show beauty and joy in life’s most difficult reality and only God can do that! When we see you both, we see Him. No better legacy to show and share with the world. Thank you for sharing your tears. She has a mutidufe of full bottles collected and All because of her faithfulness to the One who has overcome death with LIFE! To God be the glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m staring at your post Todd & Christine with tears rolling at Gods Amazing Grace...I had to step outside... not to collect myself but to look up to the hills from which cometh our help. I am looking up for you, I am looking up for Christine and stand in awe of our God. If I only had hours... I would stand right here and reflect, hug my kids tightly and probably eat another In & Out burger (shame to say) . Thank you for allowing all of us into your journey. Your love for each other, your reference to your bride as I’ve said before is something magnificent to behold. To God Be The Glory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Todd & Christine, you two have been constant faithful witnesses of our Heavenly Father during this very difficult journey, trusting Him, relying on Him and thanking Him. I’ve learned many things from each of you and your transparency, mainly that God is good, all of the time, because His plans for us are out of His love for us - an eternal love. Christine, even just last Monday, had a thankful and appreciative heart; she truly not only believed but lived ‘to glorify our Lord’. When I read this verse, it reminded me of something she would say: "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Gal. 6:14). All glory to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is our refuge and strength an ever present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear. Ps 46: 1-2a. May His strength be yours as you move ever closer to the moment when you hear “well done, good and faithful servant.” Continuing to pray for you both, and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Psalm 34:18
    The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
    and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

    Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Todd my brother in Christ....reading this has brought back many memories of the year 2000....I have been in your shoes....Make every moment for you guys and family...My prayers are with you and your precious family. May God present himself to you during this time...peace,understanding,wisdom,healing......prayers my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Todd and Christine,
    You are loved by so many, and I am so thankful to Him that the OLu community experiences your love. May His peace that surpasses all of our understanding envelope you and your family. SDG! Gregg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your brothers and sisters at St. Paul's continue to pray for you! You are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for keeping us updated. Prayers for you and your entire family. Christine has fought the Good Fight and has given us all so much.God Bless you both -

    ReplyDelete
  10. Though I know only a little of your journey "from a distance" here in WI, it is one familiar to me in my role as a hospice chaplain. I continue to pray for you & your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 2 Timothy 4:7-8. Chris embodies this verse. She will receive her crown soon after a long "well fought & witnessed" fight. Todd, you have been a wonderful example of marital love. Thank you both for all you share

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Each post draws us all closer to the place God prepares for Chris before the foundation of the world came to be. We pray for peace and strength for whatever the day brings. God holds Chris tenderly in his ams.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carol and I are lifting you both up. Thankful for your witness to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Get ready heavenly angels ... you're about to be blessed with a rookie angel named Christine. You will LOVE her and be stunned by her gentle soul, love and amazing beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praying this over you, Christine, from "Streams in the Desert" p. 398: "Let us go singing, then, and not go crying: since we are sure our times are in His hand, why should we weep, and fear, and call it dying? It's merely flying to a Summer Land."

    ReplyDelete