Monday, October 16, 2017

Flying High

Chemo 11 tomorrow I hope
Energy good
Nausea managed
Gaining weight
Still not walking enough

Cold on the way out -bloody noses still bothering me
Skin on hands and feet very troublesome - cracking/splitting
Diet has not been very good - gotta get back at it

Last chemo was slightly better than they had been, but I got a wicked headache on Friday -a reaction to the neulasta shot after disconnect.  Fortunately the excedrin for headaches knocked it down but it took the better part of the day to grab - lying in bed withe tears trickling into your ears is not comfortable, nor does it improve the headache! Aside from that though, the nausea did not last as long, not much hair fell out, the mouth sores were not as bad and did not last as long either! I am hesitant to get too excited because each chemo is different - but the ease of symptoms was a nice switch....


Have done a lot of wrestling with my wig - learning how to keep it on my petite head without using 30 bobby pins - lol.  If you cinch the adjusting strap too tight you get a headache, and if you don't cinch it tight enough, it slides back on my head...Trying to find that fine line!  Thanks for all the sweet compliments on it! Several people have asked if I got it cut for me and the answer is no - this is how this particular wig lies - so blessed! 
I have done a lot of sharing how hard this cancer journey is and wanted to share some joy with you --
This last Friday night, after a long nap, I got to go to my first OLu football game in over a year.  A friend that took me to chemo said she was going to the game, but would not be staying for the whole game. As it turned out, she was willing to give me a ride home 1/2 thru the third quarter!  Does not sound like a big deal - except that for me, it was huge!!  You can't really ask someone to take you to a game and leave before it is finished. Todd stays til the kids have walked off the field - by which point, exhaustion would have won!  That's why it's been over a year - because on good nights, I turn into a pumpkin about 9 p.m.
It was such a joy to go and be with Todd in his world, the world we used to share all the time, to see the kids, to see so many friends that I have not seen in so very long! I was just absolutely bouncing - so happy - chattering away with everyone...such fun!  It meant so much to Todd to have me there also!  Such a gift!

Saturday afternoon, I felt good enough to go with Todd to a funeral, which was hard, but good.  I could not see having Todd go by himself to watch a friend commemorate his wife.....Thankful I could go and be with him.  The extra blessing was that one of our students sang for the funeral - and he is one of my favorite singers -- sounds like Josh Groban!  So though many kleenexes got used, I would not have missed it!

Then, by God's great grace, I felt good enough (after another very deep nap) to go out with Todd to Taste of OLu and thoroughly enjoyed every minute!  It was another evening of connecting with people I had not seen in a long time and talking non-stop for almost 5 hours.  I talked to more people in 29 hours than I had in the last 4 months!!! wow!

This was such a gift!  I felt almost like my old self!  My old self would have stayed for the whole game and stayed at the Taste of OLu to help clean up so it was not too far off.  Cannot tell you how happy it made me!  Todd too :) I know there is no "cure" for stage IV colon cancer.  But if I could live the rest of my life this energetic - boy would that be an incredible blessing!!!


An added bonus is that I got to work at the thrift shop several times in the last two weeks - that is my happy place because the people are amazing and inspiring!  And after working for 3 hours today, I felt good enough to come home and tackle my endless to-do list!  Thank you God for giving me the gumption to do that!  

Ecc 7:14 - When life is good,
    be happy!


On another note - so happy to hear from people how much they like the wig pictures!  Many had big smiles as we laughed together about them.  
Also, very, very humbled that many people said they loved my blog....
True confessions---it is sometimes really hard to write and I don't always feel like I have a lot to share because things have gotten pretty routine now and I don't want to waste your time - there is not lots "new" or dramatic to tell you. I am honored that y'all continue to come back and read about my journey and adventures even when it isn't dramatic - just the day-to-day plodding along and praying for God's intervention.  Thanks for walking with us - you make it so much better! 

Thankful for
life - every minute of it
air conditioning
scripture to grant comfort and cure insomnia
birds playing in my fountain
my fantastic husband who is willing to help me anything
taking a break from my diet a little bit and enjoying it so much!
family who reaches out and provides prayer coverage and distraction
our "in-laws" or family "in-love" who have embraced, prayed and supported us so faithfully, 
   demonstrating what real family is like
insurance saying it will cover my wig!!! (miracle! very thankful!)
God continuing to provide for us through friends who share time, gifts or service to us
a friend sending me beanies and scarves for days when I am lying down all day!
a friend leaving during the 3rd quarter
no Santa Ana winds coming when forecasted for over the weekend
friends who drive me everywhere
the small surge of self discipline today and the joy of accomplishment
drugs to combat all the side effects
the joy that bubbles up in my heart even when it's chemo tomorrow!


Thanks for checkin' in!


1 comment:

  1. We,also, love the wig and new look! Great to hear you are able to verbalized and experience such joy within the trenches. Our prayers continue for you.

    ReplyDelete