Thursday, September 7, 2017

Giving and taking....

Hope ya'll had a nice break from your labor over the weekend!  


Chemo #8 complete - got disconnected and got hydration today! 
Thankful for my friends that drive me and pick me up...
Weight holding, though it is in different places than it used to be -LOL
Still walking - 2-4 miles/ day 6 days a week, on my off week- I count my steps and that ups the total, which helps!
Hair is continuing to thin rapidly- investigating a cold cap
Mouth sores are acting up - today used magic mouth wash for the first time during the day and the sores seem to be heading 
                                                                            down my throat....
Nausea is hitting earlier than it used to - pretty much from Tuesday on...
Digestion is ok - upset stomach means eat...
Found a recipe for Cucumber Mint Lemonade that really helps me to drink 
Nupogen shot to build blood cells is giving me body and head aches  :( it's working tho!
Emotions are on high alert - tears imminent at any moment due to feeling yucky
Bed and Breakfast still in business :) great to see people!
Great word picture of how I feel from a fellow colon cancer patient.  She said that when you are on your chemo, "you feel pregnant, drunk and hung over all at once."  So very true...

I am taken aback at how unhappy or upset I get about my hair falling out.  It's just hair --
One of the verses that has been rolling around in my head a lot is from Job 1:21  --The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.” 
Am I still able to "bless the name of the Lord" even when He takes things away from me?  It's hard when faced with a bowl full of hair and when I work to make the thin, fuzziness look better.  Just writing makes tears come to my eyes -- and yet when I pull out handful after handful, I force myself to thank God (to bless him )that the chemo is working and swallow my tears. (Todd was helpful in helping me look at it that way!). Balding beats the options!  

On the subject of giving and taking away - A dear friend gave me a pair of sterling silver hoop earrings and they were not to big, and not too small - they were "just right."  Somewhere, I lost one and tho it is no big deal, it continues to make me sad because I wore them all the time because they were "just right" and they reminded me of my friend.  Do I have the guts to thank God for her kind gesture and just move on?  I know it is what I should do, but having wallowing at my pity party is so tempting...   

This weekend we were super blessed by a friend of Olu.  Their family has a home up on a bluff overlooking the ocean - a beautifully gorgeous place - and it was available for the weekend and they offered it to us!  We were so excited!  We love the beach, but do not go a lot -- we have not perfected how to "play" well.  We work well, but don't play very well. haha!  Anyway, we made it down there for sunset on Friday and had a fantastic weekend full of R &R - lots of walking, naps and staring at the water.  It was so therapeutic!  In addition to their gracious offer, they left me a wonderful concoction for strawberry/blueberry/mint infused water.  It was so wonderful to drink water that tasted good!.  They also invited us for brunch serving a lovely meal that lined up with my diet!  So grateful for their thoughtfulness!  
We continue to be amazed and how God blesses us over and over!  It is easy to bless the Lord over this one!  This was something we could never have done without their generous offer!  So blessed and thankful!

While we were away, I struggled with really achy legs and hips. (Sad when you want to walk on the beach!)  Thankful to discover that this was a result of the nupogen shot -- It's easy to bless the Lord over this - especially when we thought I might be getting sick, which would delay chemo. 

Thank you for your prayers!  They are the reason that I am doing so well!  There is no other explanation, unless you want to go with the "the doctor is right - the chemo is working" theory.  However, that does not explain how I am able to function at such a high level.  It has to be the prayers!  We are so blessed and thankful for you walking this path with us.  

Praying for the Texans that will have no end to labor for a really long time....! 
Thankful for all the people that have stepped up and are working hard to help in whatever 
     way that they can!  
Praying for the Montana folks and all those in the NorthWest who are living in a constant
     state of horrible air quality.
Praying for those who are in the path of Irma, that if they need to leave that they can, and 
     if they stay, that they are protected and safe.  
Praying that Irma hooks East and heads out to sea...
Praying for so many families torn asunder by all kinds of awful things...

Blessed by small things like watching a pair of hawks wheel across the sky
Like catching a baby lizard who got into our house and realizing how cute they really are
Like a fresh bloom on a flower
Like 5 bluebirds playing in my fountain
Like friends who offer us everything from weekends away, to a cold cap, to a meal, to the
      precious prayers
Thanks for carrying us in prayer -you are a blessing to us! Thanks for checkin in! 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you thank you for sharing. Your honesty and transparency during these times are so eye opening. Even though we who are here in CA and able to drive you, we realize that driving isn't enough...listening, having a verse of encouragement and praying are the most important things we can do. You are loved by so many, but mostly by our precious Heavenly Father. "Hear O Lord, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me and answer me. When You said, 'Seek My face'; my heart said unto You, 'Your face, Lord, will I seek.'" Psalm 27.7 Much love, and prayers continually for you and for Todd and kids.

    ReplyDelete